Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cars & Shoes



I have owned  4 Galants since 2000.  If ever some one mentions Dude where's my Galant, it is because of this Tale.In 2003, I was living in Murrieta and was heading down for my son's birthday. I of course took this as an opportunity to go have a night out with Nick. We met up at the Ye Village Inn in Santee. There  of course ended up running into some people we knew and had ourselves quite the night. Somehow we ended up in Pacific Beach in the morning. We were supposed to go crash at a buddy's place not far from the bar, so at first we thought it a little strange we had woken up in his apartment by the beach. No big deal we thought though as we had been responsible and had paid for a cab.We headed back to Santee in his car (back when he drove), thinking we would just swing by the Ye to pick up my car and head to my son's birthday. Well we get to the parking lot and see a Galant and figuring it was mine decided we should go ahead and have a few beers before making it to my son's birthday party (this was during the first time My ex and I had split and she was residing in Santee with them while I lived in the house we still owned in Murrieta, so the party was taking place at her place). I was 25 at the time and even less responsible than I am now if you can believe that. So we go to the bar meet up with a few other friends and drink for a couple of hours. It comes time to head to the party and we start walking out. Problem. My Galant is nowhere to be found. Sweet. Not only had my car been stolen but my son's birthday present had been in there as well. I cared more about the fact that I didnt have his present so I have Nick take me to Walmart to pick up a new toy. This is also where I decide to call and report my car as stolen. The cops arrive to find me there with my friends laughing at the fact my car had actually been stolen. Yes we were all a little buzzed. The cop starts talking to me and begins to question why I hadn't stayed where my car had been stolen at. I explained it was my son's birthday and had to hurry up and get him a new gift. She can sense that I have been drinking and begins to question my story. But Nick was there to verify we had left it there overnight, had seen it there when we got there this afternoon and it had definitely gone missing while we were in there having a beer  While I am reporting my car stolen meanwhile, Walmart security shows up and Brian Kurt Hugo Danny Nick start making fun of the whole scene. funny stuff. Of course the other patrons of the walmart are also interested in whats going on since all my friends are around a cop car. I finish up the report and call GEICO to make my claim. Yes this was when I worked at GEICO. I make the claim get set up with a rental and proceed to go to my son's birthday. This was on Saturday. by monday I am in a rental and everything seems to be cool. I figured the car would be in Mexico and I would get the loan paid off and buy another one. I have a thing for galants- don't ask me why.

On Wednesday evening I am sitting by myself at home in Murrieta and I get this text from Nick " AHAHAHAHA"
We were all fans of the Chappelle show back then and figured he had been watching it or was remembering something from it. So I respond and ask him what was funny.
"Dude, I just spoke with Luke..."
I am still clueless. Luke isn't that funny of a guy so I'm still not getting it. Then Nick calls me. Turns out that on Friday night while we were getting lit up we ran into Luke. When the bar closed Luke was sober and had driven us in my car to our Buddy's apt-where we should have stayed that night. He had parked the Galant under the freeway by the apt and handed me the keys. We apparently had tried to get into our buddy's house but he hadn't been home so thats how we had ended up back in PB. Neither Nick or Me had remembered this part of the night. I of course start dying laughing -especially at the realization that I would have to call the cops and have them cancel the stolen vehicle report, would have to call the place I worked to cancel my claim and return the rental after explaining to them what had actually occurred. Oh and did I mention that my ex worked in the theft department at GEICO as well? Yeah, I am that awesome. So I call the Santee Sheriffs department tell them where I think my car might be and a few minutes later a cop calls me to confirm. He then tells me I have about 45 minutes to meet him where my Galant is or I would have to wait till morning. Murrieta is usually about an hour and 20 from Santee. I explain to him I am coming from murrieta and his only response was that he could maybe stay an hour and also tells me not to speed. How else am I supposed to get there within his allotted time? Anyways I end up making it in time, I explain what had occurred during a night of drinking and he just starts dying laughing. He does commend me on not having driven though. So to sum up, it took 5 days to figure out my car hadn't actually been stolen but had been lost while Nick and I were time traveling. Once the story got around I get nothing but shit talked to via texts, phone and every other form of media calling me Ashton Kucher.

See we don't talk to Luke much, he is more friends with Nick's brother Matt. If I remember correctly Matt had casually brought up that my car had been stolen the night Nick and Me ran into him...

No comments:

Post a Comment