Monday, September 13, 2010

Thank God For That White

I just interviewed. Had to dial a special conference call number to get in touch. Turns out the office was in downtown LA. From last night's rant the position was what my initial thought was- I was an excellent candidate for the position. Interview went extremely well, I hit all the points I wanted to hit- answered questions they were gonna ask before they asked them. Provided them with examples of their job description and what I had accomplished. Ended up asking them questions they obviously were impressed I had asked. It had been good that I had put in alot thought into it. Then they mentioned that my resume didn't state where I had graduated from... air came out of the whole thing. explained the approach I was taking to obtaining my degree (via CPCU designation). Didnt matter anymore. Told me that obviously they had received other resumes with some insurance background that had degrees. That there is an approval process at farmers at that it would be a challenge for them to get an approval on me because of my lack of one. The lady then asked me if I had spoken with the recruiter for the region. This was obviously because I wouldnt have made it past her once she had discovered I didn't have a degree. She asked it in order to "improve the hiring process". I refuse to call this a failed interview. fuck that. This job opening was what I do, what I excel at. Just gotta keep plugging away until someone gives me a pass on this whole degree thing. I can say this interview renewed my confidence in what I can do, what I know, and that I can succeed in a corporate structure. But me being me I decided to send them this anyways:

Mr (dude). ,

I just wanted to thank Ms. (so and so) and you for your time once again. I realize your time is valuable and really appreciated the opportunity to discuss my qualifications.I apologize that my resume does not clearly state my educational background. I thought my experience in the insurance industry had ultimately superseded this requirement in the opportunity to speak with you.


Sincerely,

Roy De La Cruz

Still can't say I'm not extremely disappointed... Moral of the day for those of you still young enough to go back and get that degree. Do it.

The white by crooked I because it has a line that speaks for this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment